What is Gleevec?
Generic Name: imatinib (im MA ta nib)
Brand Names: Gleevec
Classes: Antineoplastics, Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor, PDGFR-alpha Inhibitors
Gleevec (imatinib) is used in the treatment of certain types of leukemia (blood cancer), bone marrow disorders, tumors of the stomach and digestive system, and skin cancer.
Uses of Gleevec
Imatinib is used in the treatment of:
- Leukemia (blood cancer).
- Bone marrow disorders.
- Skin Cancer.
- Tumors of the stomach and digestive system.
Side effects of Gleevec
Possible side effects of imatinib
- Upset stomach
- Muscle/joint pain.
- Muscle cramps.
- Blurred vision or drowsiness.
If any side effects occur persist, worsen or persist or any serious side effects consult your doctor immediately.
- Make sure you are not allergic to Gleevec.
- Tell your doctor about your medical history.
- Before going under surgery tell your doctor about the medication.
- Before any vaccination, discuss with your doctor about your medication.
- In pregnancy, Gleevec is not allowed.
- Breastfeeding not allowed.